Parish Celebrating 175 Years


This photo dates from the 1920s. Photo courtesy Cathy Ehler


Pictured is Our Lady of Seven Dolors. Photo by Michael Hohenbrink

One of the oldest parishes in the Archdiocese of Dubuque is right around the corner.

According to information from a draft of a book put out to celebrate its 175th birthday, a log church had been constructed by the fall of 1854 with the Rev. Ph. Laurent as “the first resident pastor outside of Dubuque” for the entire state.

Planning for a new stone church began circa 1860 with completion in 1863.

Wings were added over the years.

For the full story, see this week's September 4 edition of the Calmar Courier. Subscribe by calling 1-800-558-1244 ext 122 or email Deb at or by clicking here.